When someone dies then the executors of their Will are responsible for collecting the estate in and distributing it in accordance with the Will. Executors are formally appointed, by the deceased, in their Will.
Many Solicitors and banks charge a percentage of the estate for dealing with the administration of an estate. Here at Laker Legal Solicitors we believe that approach to be unfair and disproportionate. The firm`s fees are determined upon the complexity of the estate and not the size of the estate.
The firm`s national hourly charging rates are set at a maximum of £230 + VAT and that rate is for our most experienced Solicitor. Our practitioner’s hourly charging rates range between £150 – £220 + VAT depending upon their qualifications and individual levels of experience.
The Probate Team is headed up by John Hirst who is a Solicitor, Director of the Firm.
The firm`s Probate Solicitors and their respective hourly charges are as follows :
- Richard Hirst , £230 + Vat per hour
- John Hirst, £220 + Vat per hour
- Stephen Ogden, £220 + Vat per hour
- Sarah Rushworth £200 + Vat per hour
- Zahra Hanif £150 + Vat per hour
An uncontested straightforward Probate matter with all assets in the UK (requiring form IHT205) will usually be completed within 6 – 12 months. More complex estates usually take between 12 – 18 months to complete. These timescales are estimates and upon the basis that the matter does not become delayed due to protracted property transactions, such as the delayed sale of a house, for example. We keep all of our clients appraised of their matter at all times and provide updates throughout their matter accordingly at the relevant times.
The exact cost will ultimately depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. By way of example if there is only 1 or 2 Beneficiaries, a limited number of bank accounts, a straight forward tax return (on form IHT205) and no house sale then legal fees would range approximately between £1,500 – £2,500 + Vat. A more complicated uncontested administration of an estate (involving a full inheritance tax return) would usually cost between £2,500 – £4,000 + Vat. This is a guide only and a detailed estimate will be provided to you upon request to take account the individual circumstance of your case. Our charges guidance would be in addition to the below disbursements, (disbursements are expenses your solicitor pays on your behalf and is then charged out to you).
- Probate Court fee of £215.00
- £1.50 for each office copy of the Grant required (1 per asset usually)
- If applicable to your case – possible fees for Trustee Act Notices in the London and Local Gazette– usually range between £200 – £400 + Vat
- Telegraphic Bank Transfer Fees when we are sending monies £25.00 + VAT
- £15.00, ID verification charge.
- Bankruptcy only Land Charges Department search (£2.00 per individual)
- This is on the basis there are no claims or challenges against the estate.
OUR FIXED FEE SERVICES
We may be able to provide a Fixed Fee following consideration of the complexity of the estate and overall case. In the event we are able to offer you a fixed fee then we will:
- Provide you with a fully qualified Probate Solicitor to handle your matter. This either be a Director of the firm or another Solicitor who will be supervised by a Director.
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the District Probate Registry
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all the assets in the estate
In the event that there is a property to sell or transfers of land / property to deal with in connection with the estate matter then we will separately quote for the same.
Please contact us for a free initial chat over the telephone to discuss your case and see how we can help you at this difficult time.